There are many ways to fly in Second Life. One can click the Fly button and just take off but there are many mechanical options too. There are airplanes of every type, dirigibles and rockets, but my favorite is a hot air balloon.
Balloons are gentle and soft methods of transportation for people who have no particular place to go. Balloons go where the wind goes and you just go along with them. I find it to be a wonderful experience.
Also, seeing Second Life® from the air is a totally new experience. When I take friends for rides they are always amazed at the views and eagerly look at everything. Eventually we all sink into that happy state of just drifting on the gentle winds.
There is wind in Second Life and some balloons are designed to catch the wind and follow it. Other balloons have steering controls so you can go where you wish. All balloons provide a way to go up and down.
My MTF sculpted hot air balloon was made by Jenne Dibou several years ago and it is still on sale (See link below). My balloon is pictured and it is one of those that just follows the arbitrary winds. Dibou is a wonderfully creative designer and her store, ~JD~ Mechanical Toy Factory, is totally worth a visit.
- Tweetie’s Balloon Heaven. Kamba (19,33,23). Owned by Tweetie Birdbrain and she has numerous balloons for sale and demos. Kamba (19, 33, 23).
- ~JD~ MTF sculpted hot air balloon vehicle in the Marketplace.
- ~JD~ Mechanical Toy factory. Gorbash (148, 100, 2260).
- Hot Air Balloon Version 1.5f made by VimzoStarship in the Marketplace.
Some locations where balloon rides are offered
- Pirates of Black Shark Reef. Black Shark Reef (83, 98, 26).
- The Love Bugg Club. Two riders are needed for this balloon. Lovers Lagoon (127, 196, 22).
- EXPLORE SOUTHERN HEART ON A ROMANTIC BALLOON RIDE. Southern Heart (51, 134, 25).
- Wind Riders Balloon Club. Wind Riders is a group of Second Life hot air balloon enthusiasts. This group is not active but see members photos in Flickr.
Because my balloon has both Victorian and Steampunk design elements, I chose a matching outfit of dress with corset, boots, fanciful goggles, and a wide-brimmed hat.
- JPK Steampunk Goggles Type-2 by Hekirekika Jinn. From the Marketplace.
- Hat from Wicca Merlin Design, New (14, 151, 22).
- FitMesh Steampunk Dress & Suspenders with Frilled Blouse by MW Boa & Lika Meili. From the Marketplace.
- [DL] Steampunk Aironaut Boots by Destany Laval of Unzipped Design, Port Naveen (167, 136, 42).
What is ManiStyle? ManiStyle is a monthly column that explores an idea, a style, a trend or a realm in SL and gives you some links to go explore and draw your own conclusions. MANIERA SL expresses an outlook on life that is part Vanity Fair and part Rolling Stone. In ManiStyle, we introduce you to our take on life and ask that you share your views and reactions.