I recently rented a townhouse at the edge of a French village set in the early 1950s. Across a canal from my house is a country trail… White fences and trees set among grasses and wildflowers.
And horses. People riding horses. I was impressed. The horses were wonderful and I quickly decided to get my own horse and ride in the French countryside each day.
Some research in the Second Life Marketplace soon gave me several leads on stables selling riding horses. There is a distinction to be made here among SL virtual horses. There are three varieties. Horses to ride. Horses to breed. And horses in the form of avatars. We’ll just focus on horses to ride.
My research led me to visit a stable in-world. They offered every kind of horse: ponies, Arabians, standards, Clydesdales, war horses, etc. There were demo horses and I spent a day or two trying them out. I ended up choosing a beautiful Arabian with Western tack. English tack was an option. I realize the French probably use English saddles but being from Texas I have to have a cowgirl saddle.
You wear your horse, thus you don’t have to worry about rezzing rights or prim counts. The menu options are so many, suffice it to say that I can make her do anything a real horse can do. Riding is such fun.
Only one thing took some work to sort out. I needed to adjust the stirrups. This must be done by going into Edit, choosing to Edit Linked Parts and carefully adjusting several objects. I also discovered that my usual boots which have fashionable high heels would never fit. I found some nice boots with low heels and now my feet fit into the stirrups perfectly.
There are a number of places to ride your horse in SL. A few links are listed below.
- Aero Pines Park (Four sims with horse-related activities), Aero Pines Park (9, 3, 22) and Equus (123, 212, 22).
- Serenity Mountain & Seaside Horse Riding Retreat (Several sims of trails set in Australia), Bonaire (86, 46, 23).
- Black Horse Country (Western sim to ride across), Black Horse Country (160, 150, 22).
- Grand Canyon Resort (Ride down the canyon trails), Grand Canyon (127, 210, 111).
- Crater Lake, Grand Canyon North (119, 45, 21).
Links to Stables
- AKK Horse Ranch, AKK Horse Ranch (41, 236, 22), http://akkhorseranch.com
- McLean Horse Farm. Run by Dee McLean. Olive (205, 16, 31).
What Deepy is Wearing (Check out the designers in the SL Marketplace):
- Winter Outfit (Jacket and pants) from Bens Boutique
- Severian boots from Lassitude & Ennui
- Deepy’s horse is an AKK Horse Ranch XL09 WS Arabian Sorrel Chestnut 3A
Written by Deepthinker Oh
What is ManiStyle? ManiStyle is a monthly column that explores an idea, a style, a trend or a realm in SL and gives you some links to go explore and draw your own conclusions. MANIERA SL expresses an outlook on life that is part Vanity Fair and part Rolling Stone. In ManiStyle, we introduce you to our take on life and ask that you share your views and reactions.